The city of Pafos, still usually written as Paphos,
on the southwest coast of the island, is, according
to legend the birthplace of the Greek Goddess 5of Love,
Aphrodite. It was founded by King Kinyras in 1400 BC.
The port of Pafos (Paphos) was built by Nicocles, the
last king of Pafos (Paphos), at the time of Alexander
the Great. It became the capital of the island replacing
Salamis during the Hellenistic Period as its masters,
the Ptolemies, favoured a location closer to their capital,
The city and district of Pafos (Paphos) had remained
the most underdeveloped part of the island until 1974.
The Turkish invasion and occupation of the major tourist
resorts of Keryneia and Ammochostos led to major investments
by the government and the private sector in the district
of Pafos (Paphos). There was rapid economic activity
in all fields but especially tourism and the district's
population stopped shrinking and indeed showed some
signs of increasing.
Today Pafos (Paphos) is a popular sea resort with a
population of 39.500. It is divided into two major quarters
- Ktima, on the sea terrace, is the main residential
district, and Kato Pafos, by the sea, is built around
the mediaeval port and contains most of the luxury hotels
and the entertainment infrastructure of the city.
For addresses and phone numbers of:
Pafos hotels and other accommodation